Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Yesterday's News

I didn't manage to make it back here yesterday to discuss the dramtic almost 2kgs weight loss from last week. So here I am today.

I can only think that either my scales are just useless or I was holding a lot of water last week because in the past 8 days or so I have done nothing but eat.

I was quite sick (not throw-up sick, ill sick) for a couple of days which may have a lot to do with the weight loss but unlike a lot of people, when I feel ill I just want to eat to make myself feel better.

But anyway, I lost nearly 2 kgs so I should just accept it and not overanalyse.

I made it to a whole month without chocolate. I won't do that again. Denying myself chocolate just made me crave it even more. But I did it because I wanted to see if I could take control over just one aspect of my bad relationship with food. I'm telling you, I did so well. I have an anonymous benefactor who sent Mr Mac home with tim tams through the week and I didn't touch any of them until my month was up. Even since then, I have been extra specially good and controlled my tim tam portions. The tim tams may actually last longer than a week this time!

I don't know if these two things are related but it's some coincidence... Since I started eating chocolate again (and I admit- it's been a lot of chocolate with it being Easter and all) I have been having the strangest dreams. In one I told someone very dear to me exactly what I thought of someone else not so dear to me. In another I was giving Peter Barlow from Coronation St a shoulder massage (he was very nice in my dream!) and in another couple, I met the girls from America's Next Top Model (including chatting up Nigel "Woof" Barker). Bizarre! And I remembered everything about the dreams when I woke up. I know I dream a lot and I do remember quite a bit but these dreams were so vivid and so strange that they're way out of the ordinary, even for me.

Oh and Mr Mac brought me home my Take That cd which I promised myself after a chocolate-free month on the very day that the month expired. It's very good. Very girly and pop- just the way I like my pop music.

But back to food and diets. This week my favourite healthy, low fat food has been my special tomato, cucumber and red onion salad on bruschetta. Take a bread roll, cut it in half and toast in the oven. Cut up equal amounts of tomato and peeled and deseeded cucmber* into little cubes and chop up half the quantity of red onion finely. Mix together in a bowl with a slug of good olive oil, a splash of balsamic vinegar and some Italian herbs. Season with salt and pepper if you like. Rub a clove of peeled garlic over the freshly toasted bread**. Spoon the salad over the bread and enjoy. Yumm yumm! You may want to have some chewing gum handy for the rest of the day though because that garlic and red onion will hang about on your breath until bed-time!


*I never knew how good cucumber could be if you peel and deseed it. I loved it before but now....
** I also never how effective a technique this is for garlicking up bread. It's like your garlic bread but without the butter- brilliant!

No comments: