Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I Don't Know Why I Was So Excited

I picked up a tub of Philadelphia Balance today. It's a Philadelphia cheese with only 5% fat. I was a bit excited about it. I don't know why. It's not like I even eat Philadelphia cheese when I'm not dieting. It may have been the big, fuck-off, 50% off sticker on the lid, I'm not sure. Anyway, I bought some, along with my WW cheese slices, WW Cream and WW Quark (for making low fat broccoli and blue cheese soup), WW Ham, loads of fruit and various other bits and pieces today.

I worked out that with 460kj and 5g fat per 100g, the entire 200g tub contained 4 points, Which meant I could use a quarter tub on my lunchtime baguette for only one point. I spread it on two bits of baguette (I can't seem to live withhout bread) and sliced some tomato and cucmber to have in the sandwich, along with some of the WW ham.

First bite I tasted the tang of the philly, it was blander than normal philly and also had that chalky texture that cheese with the fat taken out often has. I was glad that I paid half price, the sacrifice you make in taste and texture for less fat is definitely not worth paying full price for. Still, with only four points per tub, perhaps it could work in a low-fat cheesecake recipe.

Yukk! Can you even imagine Cheesecake with the fat taken out? It would be much like sugar-free, decaffeinated Coca Cola; What would be the point?

No comments: